2008-02-18

IT failure I am...

Was having a conversation with my friend the other night regarding my recently acquired fast internet. The issue of security came up, and so in a daring move I decided to dedicate this morning to configuring the modem so the network's secure.

It was definitely a disaster in the making. For one thing I didn't get up till noon. It has been ages since I've been able to sleep in like this. Anhoos, firstly I went through the manual on the installation CD, which went through the modem's function. Was okay initially but as more and more acronyms poured out, things started to get muddled up. WEP, WPA, MAC. Random words that didn't really clear up with the glossary explaination. Guess I'm not made for the IT business afterall. So I dived head in anyway, figured it may be simpler when I actually see the procedures in action. Which was true to start with, except after I fiddled with the security settings, my laptop no longer can connect via the wireless network.

In total panick, I reset all the options back to normal, rebooted the modem, but the connection refused to work. Worse still my laptop doesn't even ask me for a password anymore when trying to connect to the wireless connection, it just tries to connect for about 2 minutes, then closes the connecting dialogue box, and sits there. After about 2 hours of twiddling, I finally caved in and rang Telstra Technical Support (with head hanging in shame). Surprisingly the guy on the phone was quite helpful and we managed to get things sorted out. My esteem in Telstra is raising by the day (though am still anticipating the day I receive the bill, which will probably crush whatever little esteem I have and set it in the negative region). In the end I think the problem is in my panick to reset the modem, I didn't do it properly, which is why it kind of screwed up. Lesson for the day, do not attempt to fiddle with ones modem too much. Or better yet, just don't fiddle with anything...

1 comment:

Dana said...

pfft, security is overrated. When I setup my wireless modem, I changed the password but clicked enter too many times, change the password to my new desired password (away from the default) then changing it to blank... that is empty password. Took a while to work out how to fix that one :S.

 
Simple Web Counter