2007-09-17

Random rants

I just realised how boring the current site design is. I've been meaning to brighten it up a little bit but just never gotten around to doing it. But then again, I've been meaning to do quite a number of things (e.g. my tax returns ^_^|||).


I'm currently on my self-imposed 6-day mini-break AKA annual leave without supervisor knowing. Normally I work on the weekend that just passed, but seeing as a number of my work collegues wanted to swap weekend days with me, I managed to get this weekend off. Which is a bit of a bonus, because usually I have one day before and three days after my weekend on which are normally rostered as my day off. Hence the self-imposed non-supervisor knowing part. It's rather sad, but this is the only way I can manage to get a break from work, as all the annual leave allocations have been taken up till Feb next year. It was like this when I started working full time, so hence my chances of getting annual leave any time this year would've been nil to...... well nil.


I've been meaning to do so much with my semi-holiday, but so far I haven't done anything. Been procrastinating like mad. Didn't think I could procrastinate now that I'm no longer a student, but old habits die hard. But redecorating this site was amongst my to-do list.


It was kind of stupid of me, but when I changed the layout of this site a while ago, I forgot that the html code gets completely re-written, which wipes out my site counter. So for the last 10 days or so, my site counter have been sitting at 15 visits (yes that's how few people visit this site, especially consider half these counts are probably from me checking my own site T_T), which I found quite weird, as I KNOW that at least I've made a couple of visits to the site within the last week or so. It took me that long to figure out that the counter code must've been wiped when I played around with the layout design. Seems as age increases, sharpness of mind declines exponentially.


Anyway, the past weekend was also the long awaited annual anime convention - Manifest. Which I didn't go. Again. It just doesn't have the same force of attraction as it used to anymore. That and because I couldn't find someone to go with me, and Manifest isn't half as much fun without the company of friends. But anyhoos, one of my vet friends from Adelaide came down for the event, and we met up for dinner. It's so good to catch up with my vet friends. Despite the fact that somehow our conversation always wanders back to vet-related discussions, even though we made a point of stating "Let's not talk about any vet-related stuff". Still, it was good to catch up with people and see what they're up to. It feels a little depressing afterwards though, because the more you talk with people, the more it feel that we're all sort of going our separate ways. Sure we meet up and we keep in contact via emails and such, but it just doesn't feel like it used to, when we'd see eachother pretty much every day, and had lectures together and did our rotations together. It was good times, and I guess it's something that'll never come back. The sense of loss makes me feel slightly depressed.


Finally read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.


[WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD. SKIP THE FOLLOWING PARAGRAPH IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE BOOK YET]


It wasn't below expectations by all means, and everything was tied up pretty nicely with a happy ending. But the ending was slightly confusing. It felt like the Rowling was trying to fit what's happened so far all into a neat little package of explainations, which somehow didn't make 100% sense. Like how Harry didn't die in the woods when Voldermort 'killed' him and the piece of Voldermort's soul in him. Unless the piece of soul protected Harry from dying. But then why would a piece of Voldermort's soul protect Harry when they're mortal enemies? I guess there's probably some roundabout explaination, but I'm just not seeing it. There was a LOT of deaths in the book, but the saddest will have to be the death of Dobby the elf. Didn't feel too bad about Hedwig as I knew it was coming. However I didn't really see the point of killing off Hedwig apart from the fact that it saves the author from having to account for the owl later on in the book. The whether or not the owl died wouldn't have made much of a difference to how the rest of the story would go. The death of the other characters were met with slight indifference on my part, mainly cause I couldn't really remember them well, hence the lack of raport. The character of Snape was a little bit of a surprise, but it was kind of stupid that he only made like three appearances in the entire book, and gets randomly killed in the third appearance. Then his past history spills out. I was like WTH? We barely see him throughout the whole book and now he's dead, and THEN they decide to talk about him more? Well at least the whole thing with Lily was sweet. Although despite his undyling love, it does make him appear slightly more stupid, and hence dropped slightly in my estimation. I think I would've liked Snape to be a little less human than the way he was portrayed. I mean this guy dedicated pretty much his entire life to this girl who never could have and never will return his feelings. I mean it's touching and all, but slightly unrealistic. It's something that'll happen in a fairy tale. But then again, Harry Potter is a kids book, and I suppose it must contain some element of idealistic preachings.


Whew! That was a long rant about HP. Next up: discussion of Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo lol. Which is a random anime movie that I just downloaded off the net. I ended up watching that on Sunday rather than doing anything useful. The movie's a slice of life story with a touch of sci-fi. It's one of those sweet, pretty movies that makes you think a little, but brightens up your day in the end. The story goes basically that Makoto, the 17-year old heroine of the story, one day finds herself able to travel back in time. She ended up doing really petty things with this temporary ability to time travel, and in the end somehow falls in love, and finds her direction of life. But overall the movie's not bad. It's definitely worth re-watching at least 2-3 times when I'm bored, which is more than what I can say about the anime produced these days. Rarely are there any anime series these days that I feel is worthwhile watching more than once.


Well that's enough ranting for now. I think I should either go to sleep or do something productive with my time, rather than procrastinating and blogging. I'm finding blogging an excellent procrastination activity. Whenever I don't feel like anything, I can always find some mundane piece of my life to blog about. lol

No comments:

 
Simple Web Counter