2007-07-05

Schemozzle!

Learnt a new word today.

This morning was all fun and excitement. The computer network at the work place had a meltdown, which pretty much put the place in a complete standstill. It's always so much fun (maybe not afterwards, when the sytem comes back on and everyone rushes to do the rounds they should have done hours ago). I was rostered on to surgery today, and given the lack of access to the hospital list, it was all a bit of a mess.

So one of nurses commented, "It's all a bit of a schemozzle, really...", and I was like, "Pft, schemozzle, don't think that's really a word..." (I have my perculiarities about using words that are not actual words). This remark was universally contradicted by the rest of my work collegues.

Lo and behold, on dictionary.com, schemozzles is a word, and it means:

(Yiddish) a confused situation or affair; a mess

Well, so much for what I know. Although arguably, the word was not in my "Oxford Schoolmate Dictionary" (yes I think it's time to buy myself a decent English dictionary...).

Oh and I had to search what Yiddish meant as well *sweat*. It's apparently:

a High German language with an admixture of vocabulary from Hebrew and the Slavic languages, written in Hebrew letters, and spoken mainly by Jews in eastern and central Europe and by Jewish emigrants from these regions and their descendants.

*sigh* The joys of English...
****
The rest of the day didn't go so well. The last job I picked up was a dental with extraction of an upper carnassial tooth that's fractured. Removing the otherwise healthy teeth was really REALLY painfully tedious. Spent an hour and a half digging and loosening those periodontal ligaments, only at the end to have one of the roots fracture off anyway. In my short 6-month career I have come to dislike dentals with a passion. So far all of the dentals I've done have never been straight forward scale and polish, somehow it always ended up with me wrestling with a particularly stubborn tooth which I must remove.

****
Nehoos, better go and get some beauty sleep. In my infinite wisdom, I picked up one of my work collegues shift for tomorrow, which means no break before the weekend of hell to mentally prepare myself. *shudders* And working 4 days in a row (meaning doing 48 hours or more) at my work place is bound to drive me insane......I'll probably be singing the happy vegemite song by Sunday. *hum hum hum*

No comments:

 
Simple Web Counter